Sometimes life can get in the way of spending time with your friends. This can lead to you drifting apart.
Regardless of how close you are or how many years youâve been friends, if you never see or talk to each other, there becomes less and less to talk about. Over time, both of you will just become too busy to keep in touch.
Eventually, you might not even consider each other as friends anymore. You and your friend each become a pleasant memory of days gone by.
Donât let this happen to you and your friend!
What can you do to keep in touch with your friends when youâre busy?
- Schedule a short time to meet up in person. Nothing beats seeing your friends face-to-face. Try and arrange a short meet-up at a time that suits you both.
- Share new discoveries. Whether itâs a new coffee shop or an upcoming event, share it with your friend. Itâs the perfect excuse to plan a meet-up. Also, if youâre invited to something by your friend, try to make time to go.
- Use video calling. If you canât make time to physically meet with your friends, plan to meet virtually using a video calling service such as Skype or Zoom. These tools will help you to maintain your friendships.
- Try to schedule a call at least once a week.
- Share new music, books or movies. Your friends likely have similar interests as you do, so if you find a new song, book, or movie that you like, share them with your friend.
- Chances are they will appreciate the thought and will remember you while they read the same book, listen to the song, or watch the movie.
- Share funny videos, memes and gifs. We all love to have a bit of fun in our lives, and chances are your friend will have a similar sense of humor as you. Instead of laughing to yourself when you find a funny clip or image online, share it with your friend.
- Social media works well for this.
- Force yourself to call your friends from time to time. This is an old school tip, but sometimes only hearing someone’s voice will do.
- A quick phone call to catch up and ask how everything is can mean a lot to some people, and often helps them to open up more than over text messages.
- Think about your friends when making travel arrangements. Maybe you can pop in to see them while travelling. You could even consider inviting your friends to plan a trip together with you.
- The memories and bonding that occurs during these trips can last a lifetime.
- Be there when you are needed. Even if you are busy with work or a new partner, itâs important to be there for your friends when you are needed. If your friend is going through something important, whether that is good or bad, ensure that they know you care and are there for them.
Even with a hectic schedule, itâs important to make time for your friends. Remember, you canât choose your family, but you can choose your friends. So, they must be worth the effort!