Just think how much different your life would be if you had done a few things differently 10 years ago.
- You could have been saving money for 10 years or learning to play the guitar.
- Exercising regularly for the last 10 years would have benefited your health.
- How profitable of a website could you have built if you had started 10 years ago?
The key to having a great life is to regularly spend time on things that will enhance your future.
You canât travel back in time, but you can make the most of the next 10 years by taking advantage of these tips:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Everyone has that skinny picture from high school. However, if you look around, there are far fewer middle-age adults that would be classified as skinny. There are a lot of health issues that can be avoided or minimized by maintaining a healthy weight.
- Save money. A lack of savings is a major stressor for most people. Just think, if you had just started saving $100 a month 10 years ago, youâd have over $17,000 today. That assumes a 7% return.
- A little money saved each month can make a big difference over the years.
- Avoid consumer debt. Most people have to finance a car or home. However, anything else you canât afford to buy with cash could probably wait. Consumer debt is very expensive and ultimately very stressful.
- Set goals and reach them. Itâs possible to accomplish a lot in 10 years. Setting goals, reaching them, and then setting new goals will result in a very effective and fulfilling decade.
- Find a hobby that you love. Spending 10 years on a hobby that you love will bring a lot of joy into your life. If your hobby is something like playing the piano that requires a lot of skill, youâll be pretty good at it after 10 years.
- Hobbies can also be a great way of making friends and enhancing your social life.
- Avoid making big mistakes. Itâs not too hard to have a great life if you can avoid making any major mistakes. Big mistakes include things like marrying the wrong person, accumulating a huge amount of debt, committing a crime, seriously injuring yourself, and ignoring your health.
- Some things are difficult or even impossible to unwind, so choose your actions wisely.
- See the doctor regularly. An annual trip to the doctor can discover a lot of issues before they become serious. This is one of those things that has the potential to be a major mistake.
- Travel. The differences between someone that has traveled extensively and someone that never ventures far from the familiar is stunning.
- When you meet someone that has traveled the world, you notice something special about them. They have a wisdom that many of us lack.
- Read. You can learn an awful lot in a decade if you read good books. The library is free and contains a treasure trove of information and entertainment.
- Make a budget and stick to it. Everyone needs to be able to create and stick to a budget. Even people making over $10 million a year have outspent their income and gotten themselves into serious trouble.
Ten years is a long time, but it goes by very quickly. Time only seems to accelerate as we age, so the next 10 years will seem to pass more quickly than the last 10 years.
Will you make the most of the next decade? Or will you be kicking yourself for not taking advantage of this opportunity? Your life can be vastly different in 10 years by making a few wise decisions today.